I Need Thee


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Saturday, January 31, 2009

Bring it On

Am I going to do it? I think so! A few posts ago I discussed my random idea of completing a long course Triathlon before I leave on my mission. I am looking into an Olympic Triathlon (.93 mile swim, 24.8 mile bike, 6.2 mile run). The training will definitely test my self-discipline and inner strength… Bring it on.

The Reasons:

I don’t want to be fat: I have this fear of becoming fat. I have seen some of the strongest athletes I know get out of high school with 6 months before their mission and blow up like a balloon… not to mention any names… but I don’t want to be that guy. A triathlon would definitely help keep me in shape.

The Horizon to look to: I don’t like working out without a purpose. Swim has always been my drive, but in one week swim will be over forever. A triathlon with give me a goal to work towards.

Self discipline rite of passage: As a member of a team I have always had a coach there telling me what do to and being sure I do it. But when I swim on my own, I find myself cutting my sets in half because I’m bored. Training for a triathlon will help build my drive to do what I need to do.

No better time: A triathlon is one of those things everyone wants to do, but always has a reason not to. I am not in a career, my work schedule is very flexible, and I am in the best shape of my life. The self discipline I learn would no doubt help me with the rigorous schedules of missionaries!


There are still unknowns in this little equation. I don’t know what equipment I will need or how exactly to train. But I’ll figure it out! If anyone knows of any good bike shops or places I can get information, I’d love the help!

3 comments:

Clestial said...

Again, I know my bro Eric has always wanted to do a triathalon. You should chat with him. Also, Cameron works at a major bike place. Chat with him, too. :)

Anonymous said...

Wow! Whose kid are you? More power to ya!

Amy Ruben said...

I'm actually thinking of doing a triathalon as well. Training with someone helps a ton! There are 10 adults in my ward that every morning before work they would either bike or run together in preparation for the IronMan. So find a training buddy. Really work on the transition from biking to running. My friend said that was the transition that slowed him down the most.