I Need Thee


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Monday, February 23, 2009

Against All Odds


This past september, I was nominated to represent Murray High as the Business and Marketing Sterling Scholar. You can't imagine the shock this was for me! Honestly, I only applied because I heard there was only one other (much more qualified) guy applying, and I couldnt just let him walk away with it! I have a decent GPA and an average ACT, but I am aware I am no genius! But sure enough, while on vacation in California I receive a call telling me I made it! I was ecstatic! But not ambitious. I would spend the time, and put together a frighteningly detailed 20 page portfolio, and go be interviewed by the region judges. But as my cousin, the Math Sterling Scholar calculated, my odds were not so good to advance to the next round.

So this last Wednesday the 12 of us walked into Kearns High School (looking like a million bucks I might add, I love dressing businessy) to be weighed and measured against the other 15 nominees in each of our categories. Strangely enough, adults have never really intimidated me. And this seems to have been my strongest tool while in these interviews. I walked in calm, walked out calm, and was just glad it was over!

Around 11:30 that night I was doing some homework when I got a text from one of the fellow sterling scholars telling me the results were up. I just told her to tell me. Not willing to get my hopes up. And sure enough! She told me I was 1 of 5 region winners and I was going to advance to state!

I just about fell out of my chair! And I have been so excited since! This opens up all kinds of crazy opportunities for me! I just qualified for a bunch of new scholarships so I am looking into some different options before my mission. If anyone has any advice on good business programs in Utah please let me know! I would love to hear what you have to say!

5 comments:

Josh Moore said...

Congrats buddy! Against all odds though? I don't think so. :)

Zak Johnson said...

Good work Mr. President, I knew you had it in you! As for good local business programs, let me put in a good word for BYU's Marriott School. Their program is consistently rated high in national business school rankings, so they compare favorably with other top schools. From my own experience, they give you endless opportunities to branch out, gain experience, and learn a LOT. Best of luck deciding what to do!

Kim said...

Well, you SHOULD be intimidated! Us adults are scary people! j/k Congrats Steed you deserve it.

Stacey-Marie said...

ha i knew you would! me and melia even talked about it.
you rubens. you amaze me.

kelli said...

Adam!! That's awesome!! Congrats. You sure deserve it. You're amazing. :)